
One week before the race Greg tried to use a jig saw to shape the car with it attached with a clamp to the barbeque grill. Not such a good idea. So next he tried sanding it to get the groove out on the top to look like a corvette (Brett designed it, Greg was just trying to match it to the drawing). Anway, Greg gave up and Brett said it was fine. I said we should get a Dremmel and do it right. (I lost for the moment). So Greg got some glossy red spray paint and went to town; and I mean went to town with that paint. It was so cold and he sprayed it so thick "So it would be glossy" that it gelled. He tried sanding between coats and even tried sanding it off but he couldn't do it. I finally got my second I told you so moment when Greg went and bought a Dremmel and sanded the tar out of that car. He got all the paint off and he shaped it too. I started painting it over the next two days (in between rain showers and freezing temperatures) and then Brett painted the lightning bolts. Greg did some extra special things with the tires and weights but we aren't revealing our secrets :) and it was done. We were all very nervous on the first race. You never know if it going to be a total dud. Brett won his first six races and he kept saying, "Isn't that amazing. My car won." What a relief to us. We made into the finals with the other two fastest cars and they had a race off. We each raced on each one of the three tracks. We took second on the first and won the second and third. We hav set the bar pretty high for ourselves by winning 1st place in our first Pinewood Derby. Greg sat down next to me and his hand was literally shaking. The funniest part about it was it appeared to everyone he was really into the whole car building thing but he wasn't really and if we hadn't spent hours messing it up it actually wouldn't have been that bad. Live and learn.


1 comment:
Congrats Brett! It's amazing that two out of three Wolves in our den placed! ~Sister Stephanie Johnson
Post a Comment