Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spring Break 1- Temple Tour

Where do I begin. I have hundreds of pictures to go through from the last few weeks so bear with me. Despite all the protests of my husband I decided I wasn't going to spend another spring break at home. I craved adventure, and I promised my kids we would do something new. I booked hotel rooms using points on Sunday evening and after taking Abby to the doctor Monday morning for her awful diaper rash, (Helllloooo, how do you get rectal strep? I don't know but she did it somehow) we drove to Atlanta.
This was the kids at the Georgia Visitor Center right as we crossed the border. 
Photobucket
It was about a 4 hour drive. We stayed near the Atlanta temple which has just been reopened for an open house after 2 years of refurbishment. That night we got pizza and swam at the hotel pool where we met another family from Hickory doing the same thing as us. It was not surprising to notice several minivans in the parking lot along with several CTR stickers. Next morning we got up for our temple tour.
Photobucket
Since no pictures are allowed in the temple this is the kids outside right before we went in...
Photobucket
You see the pant leg of my 4th child...I should have known what I was in for over the next half hour. It started with putting on booties to protect the carpets...Brett refused. As part of the tour we went through the different endowment rooms. The first was fine except that Brett and Abby wanted to sit on the chairs, the next room I tried to get the kids interested in the murals along the entire room and said, hey can you find the fox? At that point, my oldest pulled an imaginary gun from his holster and began shooting the fox. First, we aren't hunter's and second, I could tell my children were making it a very spiritual experience for everyone in our group. I tried to stop him but with4 kids and lonely me the best I coud was tell him we don't shoot things in the temple...did I mention he found a bear to shoot too? Ugh. So then we entered a sealing room where the marriages are performed. It wasn't too bad except for the spectacle of Abby jumping off the step around the altar. Last was the Celestial room which requires no talking and the floors were covered with plastic to save the carpet. Brett, took himself right in and plopped right down on the couch. Nice. I couldn't even go in for all the screeching Abby was making. Needless to say, we were glad to leave and get our cookies at the end of the tour. Unfortunately, they don't serve chocolate chip so my kids were left to moaning that they don't want oatmeal raisin or peanut butter cookies. Exhausting but we survived!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Becky said...

Despite your "adventure" I'm totally jealous. That was the first temple I worked in. (And near my old hood). I loved Atlanta and would move back in a second!
I think you are daring to try to do anything alone with 4 kids. Brian is going to N.J. this weekend and I already called someone to take my nursery calling because I'm not planning on making it to church on time (if at all).