



Also, in our big news, after the saga of getting Brett into the right class he tested and was placed in the gifted and talented program for math. We are still working on the reading because they couldn't take his TX end of year scores and he never tests well in reading on the Cogat. He will probably make it on reading next year.
For those that didn't hear about the saga this is what happened in a nut shell. There have been cut backs and teachers pulled to lower economic schools so we have a shortage. There are about 30 kids to a classroom. I counted 7 portables behind the school this morning and the school is only 3 years old. Anyway, we received a letter the day before teacher phone calls saying that Brett was placed into a combo class. The benefit is a smaller class and full time aid to his class but he was combined with students from another grade. Initial thoughts for Greg and I were that it would be okay as long as he was with older students. They worked so hard last year to prepare him to be a 4th GRADER and to pair him with younger kids wouldn't do his learning any justice. So the next day I tried the prinicpal all day but he was in a meeting. That afternoon Brett's teacher called and explained it was a 3/4 grade class. I talked to her indepth about Brett's grades, learning experience, and test scores and she sent an email to the prinicpal. I honestly just wanted to know why he was placed in that class. I did talk to a friend that is a TA and she raved about the teacher and we talked about the gift and talented program as a route too. So, Monday came around and I was under strict instructions to call the principal every 2 hours all day if I had too. He finally called me around 2:45 and my conversation lasted 2 minutes and 45 seconds. Brett was moved to the 4/5 combo class and he will be tested the first week for AIG (equiv to AIM). Done. I guess the email the teacher sent summed up pretty much everything I would have said and made it very clear he should be with the older group. Now that school has started, I am nervous everyday that he has a good balance of challenge but not too hard. He needs to be successful for his self esteem but he needs a little bit of push.

1 comment:
I did split classes in Elementary (3/4th ad 4/5th) and it was fun. Of course, I was always with the older kids. It was a good experience for me. I hope it works out for y'all as well.
Post a Comment