I was majorly busy and hugely stressed with hospital unit verification pass off's the couple days before and other school things packing my days. I started to not feel very well a couple days before and thought I was probably getting Greg's sinus cold. Ugh. The day before we were leaving I was finally trying to pack for the trip and I could not even get off the floor of the family room. I felt AWFUL! I had been up most of the night with chills even though I didn't have a measureable fever. Finally, I called my dad and we figured I probalby had the beginnings of the dreaded H1N1 (Swine) flu. He started me on Tamiflu which made me feel absolutely awful on top of the awfulness I already felt. Double Ugh! Fortunately it did kick it so that I was well within about 2 days despite the absolute nausea that kept me from enjoying most of those free meals those first 2 days. (Of course I wasn't the one throwing up--Alex is so my son ;p).
DAY 1
Early Saturday morning we flew out and arrived early afternoon. We took the bus transportation and got settled into our rooms. Our first reservation was for lunch at the Whispering Canyon Cove at the Wilderness Lodge. It was a last minute booking because I couldn't find anything I wanted and we LOVED IT! It was so much fun. Our waiter was Rowdy Raphael from Puerto Rico and everything there was loud, crazy, and messy. He was hucking straws and napkins at us and when Alex wanted a red crayon, Raphael called to all other tables for some help. As we were pelted by red crayons we all couldn't help laughing at our obnoxious server. Our kids adored him and thought everything he said was hilarious. During the meal our kids rody pony sticks around the restaurant. Raphael even gave Logan a ride on his chair and left him at the opposite end of the restaurant. He also made Brett into an Indian Chief. The boys got to go back into the kitchen to get their own drinks and the other crew made them sweep up after themselves. Alex's face was priceless when they handed him his own broom and dustpan. Oh, and did I mention the food. Some of the best we had the entire week. I had a pulled pork sandwich while Greg had the meat platter full of ribs, bbq chicken, brats, corn on the cob, potatoes with cheesecake dessert and endless milkshakes.





After lunch we went to the Magic Kingdom. As we walked through the gates I have to admit to being a sap. I will blame it on being emotionally and physically drained from preparations and being sick but I got teary eyed because my kids were IN Disneyworld. It is magical and my kids were going to remember this forever. Anyway, the first ride we got in line for was Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Unfortunately, we timed if very poorly. We waited in a HUGE line! The ride was great but when we went back with our Fast pass tickets we found out we can get rider switch passes at each gate and one parent can go with all the kids, then the other parent can go with all the kids. How great is that? I don't think I ever want to go to Disney unless I have a stroller child. The kids can go on each ride twice when the parents only have to go once. Yea! P.S. Please bless the inventor of Dramamine. It made all the rides bearable and I think it helped me not suffer so badly with the Tamiflu.


We also made it onto Splash Mountain, had dinner at a quick service place and headed back to our hotel after we watched several of the firework and light parades. We also found out that even though Space Mountain was not scheduled to open until the day after we left...they were having test runs throughout the week during random hours and we could probably get a few rides in. What a relief for Greg...I think he was going to die if he couldn't take the boys on it.
DAY 2
We went to Hollywood Studios on the second day. The boys loved the sorcerer hat and wanted several pictures with it. We decided to eat early at a quick service place next to Rockin Roller coaster and Tower of Terror. We probably shouldn't have been teasing Alex about how he throws up when he eats too much because right after we finished he ralphed up his entire meal. The kid isn't sick, he just gets sick if he thinks about it. (note...he threw up in the car 2 days before we got here too after a pizza dinner). So Brett and Dad made a run on Rockin Roller coaster and when they got out we took everyone on Tower of Terror. I thought for sure Logan wouldn't like it. He loved it! He was so funny because he wold tell you to hold on to him and make you put your arm across his chest then he would hold onto it with one arm and then reach his other arm into your lap and hold your leg. Hilarious! He went on Tower of Terror like 5 times that first day. After some rides we went tothe Lights Motor Action stunt show. It was incredible. The cars were spinning and chasing inches from each other. I have never seen anything like it. They showed us a few of their tricks like driving a car backwards over a jump (they actually tore out the insides and rebuilt it backwards and someone is driving it forwards) and a remote control car that has a person driving on the outside of the car hidden down low.







For dinner we went to Hollywood and Vine. It was a 50's diner cafe that included reserved seating for Fantasmic. The food was pretty good although I would say the dessert was specatcular. Abby, my little cake snob, won't eat frosting or cake or most sweet treats ate chocolate mousse and couldn't get enough of it. I also loved the pink buffet seats and the napkin holders that were Mickey ears. Also, check out Abby's sandals. They are called gladiator style and they were a real hit with other people commenting on them.





Last of all was Fantasmic. It was a great show and we had front row seats. The kids loved the magic and the fireworks. The fireworks didn't even bother Abby. She is a brave and happy little girl.






That night when we got back to our room, we had a little present from the hous keeper. The kids got a real kick out of Woofbone (Alex's puppy) watching TV and we had toothbrush holders. You can see the boys reflection in the mirror.



I stubbed my toe the morning of Day 2 and really thought it might be broken. It sure was pretty looking.

Day 3
To begin Day 3 we left a little present for our housekeeper.

Next we went to Magic Kingdom for our second time. I dragged all the boys on the old time rides that maybe weren't as "cool" as Thunder Mountain Railroad or Splash Mountain but I would say they were the oldies but goodies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, and It's a Small World (which Logan really enjoyed). For Dinner we ate at the Tavern Tree Inn. It was like having a really really good Thanksgiving Dinner that I didn't have to prepare at all. Yum! The hostess was really sweet to the boys...tracking down extra crayons and such. Early in the day after several runs on Space Mountain we went to the Monster's Inc, Laugh Floor. Very funny. It is a live show, partly on video where they use people from the audience as their jokes. Baby Mikey was up telling his jokes and said at the end..."Do you guys want to see the cutest thing ever?" The next shot was Abby wiggling her way around in her seat with me. The boys thought that was really cool. We also did the Jungle Safari ride and Abby practiced her "head bonks". I think that is how she says I love you. I almost forgot this was also the day that the boys got stuck on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. They had to be unlocked from their seats and walk the track back. I was waiting for them for nearly 45 minutes.






Alex's face was priceless as we rode It's a Small World. I have thrill seeker children and this ride just didn't cut it for them.




To end the evening we discovered the very short but fun ride of Goofy's Barnstormer. The kids could run right on again and again.



Abby in her Minnie ears. Pretty cute huh? She was so good and loved her stroller. I loved the castle at night. It was lit with Christmas lights and off lights that changed from red to blue to purple and green.


We had great seats for the final fireworks show of the night with the castle as the backdrop.
Day 4
On the 4th day we went to Epcot. I was worried the boys might not enjoy it but it ended up having one of their most favorite rides...Test Track. We saw Stitch first off which made the boys very giggly and shy. We went to get Fast Passes for Soaring and I ate at the Seasons grill down stairs. Wow! What a meal and again, it wasn't even a restaraunt. I had sweet and sour chicken with chow mein and broccoli and then a drink and chocolate mousse dessert. Mmmm. Soaring was cool especially when you could smell the oranges in the orange groves. Next ride was Test Track which was really fun. They take you on some crazy courses for crash test dummies and then a hairpin turn at the end. We also went on he Spaceship earth ride (uneventful except that we got stuck) and then Mission to Mars (Ugh! We didn't realize that the g-forces on that ride was going to be made by spinning us in circles. Greg and I don't do circles.) That night we ate in Italy at Tutto Italiano Restaraunt. All the waiters were from Italy and it was very nice. I think the best part was the desserts. I had a conoli with cinnamon dusted on the plate in the shape of a fork and knife. Greg had an assortment of desserts. The kids had a pretty good time drawing on the tables and Brett tried all sorts of new foods like honey dew melon and cantalope. I was the most worried about him because he is so picky but he made do on chicken nuggets, grapes, and pizza.








The boys called the ball at Epcot "The Giant Golf Ball"

Brett's modeling his new shades for "Honey I shrunk the Audience"


At the Nemo ride there were interactive games at the end and a giant shark Bruce to climb in.


Day 5
Animal Kingdom here we come. Brett had been dying to go on Expedition Everest so that is the first thing we did. I think Brett and Alex loved sitting in the back seats the most. It was a great ride with it going backwards in the pitch black. They both got Everest t-shirts to take home as their "souvenir". We next went on the Kilamanjaro Safari ride. It was great entertainment and we saw lots of wild animals. Greg also took the boys on the Kali River Rapids. I didn't really want to be soaked so I stayed off. I don't think I could have gotten the boys to go twice. They really don't like to be wet. Poor Logan, one of the pictures you can see Greg ringing out his shorts. We had lunch a Pizzafari, the kids loved it and the food was good. They are environmentally friendly so they don't hand out lids for drinks and their straws are made of paper. Strange texture and we did spill a few drinks. Sorry environment, my kids need lids. Dinner was at Tusker House and it was pretty good. It was an African inspired buffet. We were supposed to eat there again on Day 7 but we decided we needed to make a return visit to the Whispering Canyon Cove again since that was the best food and entertainment by far. I also dragged the kids to the Finding Nemo musical. It was very well done and we all enjoyed it after all, even though Brett kept asking how much longer till he could go on Everest again. I think between the two days at Animal Kingdom he went on it like 15 times.



Can you see the tree lady? She had stilts and was covered in vines.










The tree in the center of Animal Kingdom is carved with all African wildlife. It is really detailed.
Day 6
Off to Hollywood Studios again. This time we watched the Indiana Jones Stunt show which the kids got a real kick out of. We also were lucky and got the kids into the Jedi Training Show last minute. We tried really hard to get Logan to do it since he is our Jedi enthusiast but he refused last minute. it was great fun. The kids got dressed up in Padawan costumes and the Jedi Master taught them their moves. One funny little boy kept having trouble opening his light saber. Our boys were a definate crowd pleaser. When Alex got up to fight Darth Vader, he got this goofy, silly grin that he gets when he is embarrassed. I don't know how to describe the look but it is soooo cute. He smiles really big and then lowers his head and looks up at the top of his eyes. It was really funny and I just can't recreate his face. The Jedi Master asked him if he was ready to fight the dark forces and he said yes and did his fight. When Brett's turn came up, he proudly got in his stance and was ready for the fight. He was probably the most aggressive and because of it the storm troopers pulled their guns on him. Then the Jedi master yelled to Force Them and that was all Brett needed to put up his hand and force them away. The storm troopers reacted instantly to his "power" and Brett kept on it. The timing was perfect!
















We visited with Lightning and Mater at Luigi's garage and then had dinner at Mama Melrose's Italian Restaraunt. Good food too but again...we talked about how Alex makes himself sick and he got sick at the table. We were dumping cups and passing them to him. Gross! That makes 3 times in a week. To end the evening Greg took Brett on Rockin Rollercoaster a few more times while I took the rest of the kids to Fantasmic again. We missed seeing Beauty and the Beast show but maybe next time. I think around dinner time Abby was getting pretty tired. She kept resting her head on the table.






End of Day 6
Poor Abby. She had just really mastered walking and still wasn't very stable. Brett was playing with her and she fell and bumped her face on the bed post (which was a log bed covered in bark). It made a huge goose egg. The next morning when the swelling went down she had a big shiner.


Day 7
We were so lazy and relaxed on our vacation. We didn't use any of the early magic hours and hardly any of the late hours. We enjoyed sleeping in, eating when we wanted and just taking it all at our own pace. Today we decided to go to downtown Disney. We hoped on a bus with the best bus driver in the world. He was very hyper and Brett sat right at the front with him. Every stop we came too he would say 1-2-3 as he opened the door and he and Brett would yell out to the stop "Downtown Disney!" and then the guy would sing his little jig. At one stop another cast member hoped on and they sang their own little made up song to us. Once there was another family on and he found out they were celelbrating birthdays he had some presents. He first gave them mom her very own 5x7 picture of himself and then he gave all the kids pirate swords. We didn't stay long at Downtown Disney but we wanted to make sure the kids saw the t-shirt shop, the lifesize Lego people, and the Stitch over the Store door that spits at passerbys.






For lunch we went to the Whispering Canyon Cove again and although we asked for Raphael he wasn't there. We had Sidetrack Sally this time. She was just as entertaining. The kids rode ponies, colored pictures and did the "If You're Happy and You Know It" dance. Alex asked for a refill and she brought him his drink in a mini mason jar (it was a salt shaker). He thought it was hilarious. Greg and I got water from the pond in our regular size mason jars...and for the heavy drinkers they got their drink in a extra large pickle size mason jar (It took putting two straws together (about 12 inches tall) to drink out of it.








After lunch we headed over to Animal Kingdom again. Greg to Brett and Alex on Everest a couple times and I took Logan to go meet characters and wait for the Lion King Festival. Logan was very shy and giggly around Donald and Goofy. It was really cute. Abby slept most of it until we met Mickey. The Lion King was a great show with a variety of entertainment. The boys liked the acrobatic monkeys the best.












I thougth the light posts in Animal Kingdom were so creative. I loved the whole atmosphere of Africa and Asia.


Logan hanging out by the Yeti foot. Maybe next time he can ride Everest. He was a really good sport about not being tall enough for all the rides.

Day 8
We spent part of the day at Epcot again. We let the kids choose where they wanted to go their last day because it was only a partial day. They really wanted to ride Test Track again. We also spent some time in the innovations centers and the boys created their own video games that they email to you. You are actually in the video game doing the actions. It was pretty funny. Brett wasn't feeling great at that point with a headache and we had tried to get him to swallow a tylenol (unfortuntely, he chewed it and that just made him feel worse). Afterwards, we caught our bus to the airport and flew home. It was a magical trip and we loved it and can't wait to do it again in a couple years.

1 comment:
I just got your blog address from your Christmas card. Great to know you have one so we can keep up better on each others lives. We have one too at thekeetchfamily.blogspot.com but I have to send you and invite. I think I have your email address... Anyway, it looks like you guys had the funnest trip and you packed A LOT in! We just got back from Disneyland on Thursday, but only did 2 days. I have family there so we go every couple months. But seeing all your pics reminded me of all the things you can't do in just 2 or 3 days. K, this is long, but your kids are growing so fast and Abby is adorable! Hope to keep in touch!
Post a Comment