Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Special Mother's Day

   Now that a little time has passed I wish I had posted closer to my grandmother's funeral. I have been very fortunate and blessed to have all 4 of my grandparents living till now.  My kids have had the chance to get to know their great grandparents and will forever have memories of them.  My fondest memory of my dad's parents is when they came to Texas to be at Brett's baptism.
Photobucket
   I knew the effort it took and the the poor health of my grandmother at the time.  Hard to believe it was over 2 years ago. I received the news while I was at a work training that my grandmother was not doing well and they expected her to pass in the next couple of days.  I was supposed to start my new job the next weekend and discovered that her funeral would be the same day.  I considered not going because of my previous commitments but realized that I couldn't miss having my chance to say my goodbyes.  I was able to get a reasonable flight and flew to Utah Friday evening and returned home Sunday morning.  Crazy short trip but worth it.  Fortunately for me, although my first flight was delayed, the airline allowed me to get on standby on an earlier flight right as they were closing the doors so that I wouldn't miss my next flight. 
   These were the pictures from the viewing that morning...(Just to let you in on a secret...I dyed my hair just over a year ago...I had been blonde for 10 years and decided I needed a change so I went dark.  Because we didn't venture to Utah last summer witht he move, none of my family has seen the new color).  This is Grandpa O. (Mom's father) and Grandpa B. (Dad's father).
Photobucket
   I know this picture is grainy (flash didn't work), but there is a funny story behind it.  When my grandpa and aunt came to support my other grandpa, we hugged and chatted then my mom snapped the picture below.  About 20 minutes later my grandpa came up to me and apologized because he didn't have a clue who I was during our exchange.  Too funny and kind of cute that he didn't recognize me.  :)
Photobucket
   I thoroughly enjoyed the funeral and all the wonderful stories/memories that were shared about grandma.  All of her grandchildren except 2 were present.  My favorite story was how my grandparents met...They were both serving in Japan during the war. My grandma was a nurse and my grandpa a doctor.  My grandma was one of 2 LDS girls at their camp and there were a couple LDS boys at another station that came to drive them to the dances.  It was cold and a very long drive but that is how my grandparents met.  WHen my grandma went home she met my grandfather's family.  While she was there they pulled out an old album with a newspaper clipping in it...on one side was a story about my grandfather and on the other side was a story about my grandmother.  (I can't remember what the articles were about).  My other favorite story about my grandma was when she was serving a mission in Nigeria, Africa she was playing the piano when a little boy came up to her and kept touching her elbow.  I think he may have even pinched it to see if her white skin came off. The best part was when she felt his little tongue give her arm a lick.  I guess he was trying to see if she tasted any different. 
   After the funeral we went to the cemetary.  My grandmother had military honors and I have to say that was the most touching part of the day.  The young men from the National Guard were respectful and honorable and when they handed the flag to my grandfather I was filled with indescribable emotions.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
These pictures were courtesy of my very talented cousin Julianne (Miss professional photographer).
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
All of the grandchildren minus Eric and Nate. 
Photobucket
My immediate family with grandpa.
Photobucket
My grandparents children.
Photobucket
Some favorite cousins...Doug, Becky, Julianne, and Scott.
Photobucket
Mom, becky and me. 
Photobucket
Becca, Becky and me. 
Photobucket
Uncle Kent (Burton), Aunt Karen, Aunt Linda, Aunt Rene, and my dad. 
Photobucket
   I am grateful that he has so many children near by and I am grateful that my grandma can be free of her ailments and illnesses and that she can be with her sisters.  At the luncheon after my grandfather commented that he kept waiting for my grandma to come and it was definately strange to not have her there.  My sweet little brother Andrew had a hard time not crying everytime he looked at my grandpa.  I am so thankful for families and that we have the gospel that allows us to know this life is not the end and we can be together forever.
p.s. While I was at the funeral, I received the phone call that Greg's grandfather had passed away too. He would be heading for Montana a few weeks later.

No comments: